Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fire Fire Fire!!!!

This was my parents home.... Saturday March 21st someone set it on fire....It took 12 fire trucks from 3 neighboring towns to fight the blaze and keep it from consuming the main house. Thankfully, the main house which is just 10 feet away from the fire, had only cracked windows and melted blinds. It doesn't even smell of smoke! The CSI team confirmed it was arson and they are investigating leads. A BRIEF HISTORY: My parents bought this 150 year old home in Fillmore Utah, 10 years ago. My Dad had an instant love and interest in this old building behind the house...they called it "The Grainery". It was made of red pine from the mountains around Fillmore, and was put together without a single nail or screw. The pioneers had a method the used called mortise and tenon....The joints are formed to fit snug inside of each other. It had a cellar that they used to keep food storage items in. My parents gathered bricks from the school house in Scipio that my Dad attended as a young man, they placed them on the dirt floor, and formed a clean floor for storing things on. Dad had all of his tools, and Mom had all of her keepsakes in this grainery. Eventually they made a living space with a loft in the grainery, and built a nice covered deck on the front of it. Inside they placed all of their keepsake items, and made it very cozy~ they loved to bring friends and family into the yard and enjoy the hot tub and grainery. All of the Grandkids loved to sleep in the loft. We all enjoyed time around the fire infront of the grainery in the evenings. Our heart goes out to Mom and Dad, for this loss...It was a loss for all of us because all of our childhood memories , some of their memories, as well as our childrens memories in the way of photos, videos,geneology books and hand made articles were lost in the fire. It is a very surreal feeling to know that the largest part of your past, no longer exists...only in the memory. It is difficult to pass that on to future generations. The good news is that no lives were lost....

6 comments:

Callan and Jaci said...

Sad..:( Do you have pics from before the fire? LOVE YOU!

Brittany and Johnse said...

It broke my heart when I heard the news!! I felt terrible for them! Let us know if there is anything we can do...I think we should put together something to raise some money for them to help rebuild it all!!!

Anonymous said...

Mindi- those pics make me sick! I cannot imagine all of the keepsakes that were lost - so many videos/pics of us growing up. I hope that they figure out who did it and they are held accountable - though it will still never replace the items that were lost.

kimber said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that. I hope their recovering okay.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize the grainery was that close to the house. I need to drive by. It's a shame.

Dre + Drew - Pacific Northwest Living - DuPont, WA said...

How tragic! I am super sorry to hear that. How awful!